Wednesday, July 26, 2006

No pain, no gain??

There's been a lot of pain in our house lately. Christopher's ears and gums (those 12 month molars are a bugger) accompany my knees and shins. We're a lovely sight, Chris screaming in my arms as I hobble around the house trying to comfort him and not fall over!

I did not work out yesterday. We went to the Chiropractor instead. Both of us - Chris and me... I know my neck is all out of whack, not to mention the rest of me (no snide comments from the peanut gallery are necessary at this juncture!!) and I have heard from several sources that their kids were cured of their ear infections by seeing a chiropractor. I'm skeptical, but this is his third round of rather hefty antibiotics in less than 6 months, so at his point I am willing to try anything.

Dr. Chiro worked on me - the adjustment in my neck felt amazing as I am sure there was a good year or so worth of tension built up there - and then took a look at Christopher. A few taps with the activator thingy and that was all...

Low and behold, Chris slept all night for the first time in 5 days. Is it the antibiotics or the adjustment? Dont know and don't care... he slept and was a happy camper today!

My other excuse for not working out were my shins. MAN OH MAN they hurt after Monday. I thought I was over the whole shin-splint thing but I guess I'm not. I went back today and tried the treadmill again. Call me brave, call me stupid, call me a bit of both. I was able to do 2 miles in just about 13 minutes per mile. 26:10 in fact. A month ago I would have been really thrilled with that time, but now - well, I want MORE! More from myself, from my body... but I guess I really do need to stop thinking I had the body I had in college where I could just pick something like running up because it sounded like a good idea and suffer no ill effects.

I finished out my workout on the elliptical machine to cover a total of about 3.5 miles today.

No comments: