Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter to all who celebrate!

Easter came in with one doozey of a windstorm last night.  The wind howled between the trees and houses for well over 2 hours, of course, in the darkest middle of the night.  The yard managed to survive, save for a few large branches from the tree in front.  (It always falls victim to strong winds.  I am actually surprised it has not completely blown down yet)

The boys were delighted to find Easter baskets waiting for them when they got up (at the unearthly hour of 6:15... when will they learn the beauty of sleeping in?) and a question was raised in my Fatfigthers group about whether or not our kids still believe in the Easter Bunny.  Honestly, I have no idea.  I am a bit afraid to pose the question because I don't want to allude to there NOT being an Easter Bunny, for fear it will lead to other magical myths, such as St Nick.  I am OK with them thinking the basket comes from me... especially if it means they will still have faith in other things for a while longer.  Matthew informed me a few weeks back that a boy in his class thinks the tooth fairy is actually his parents.  I asked Matthew what he thought - and as of that date he thought the boy was delusional.  I breathed a cautious sigh of relief.

I know the innocents of youth won't last forever.  I know someday they will know the "truth", if you can call it that.  Parker told me someone in his class does not believe in Santa.  My 5th grade students had a conversation about it a few days ago, and I felt bad for one of them because I think he DOES still believe, but peer pressure is getting the better of him.  I shared with my class that, goofy as it may be, I still believe in Santa.  Because really, what is Santa but the desire to find innocence in the world and to do good for others?  What is so wrong with wanting to make someone's day a bit brighter, or to fulfill a wish?

And, as a parent, I have to say that whole "you'd better behave, because Santa is watching" line is worth its weight in gold!

No comments: