Monday, June 02, 2008

Summertime, Summertime....

Our weather has been flirting with "normal" temperatures all week, meaning we have been dancing above and below the century mark with regard to temperature. I swear - I've said it before and I will say it again, Arizona is the ONLY place on earth where 90* is not really all that hot and 70* can be down right chilly! So in all, the weather has been lovely and just right for enjoying vacation. And enjoy it we will, because we all know it won't last!

My oldest friend in the world was out on Scottsdale this weekend for a birthday get-a-way. We were able to sneak in some time for lunch in between her pampering sessions at the Phoenician and it was delightful to see her and spend some time with her. We ate outside at the golf course - the 19th hole is a little patio grill. It was lovely, and the misters were on (Arizona is known for misters - an advantage of having 8% humidity is that the evaporation of water from the air actually cools things down nicely). We commented that the sun was quite warm, but none of us were uncomfortable sitting in the shade.

Where it was 98*.

And yet, get me to 110, 113, 118.... I am M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E! I guess I can equate it like this, for those of you who live where it gets cold. You can probably handle 30* in the winter... its not shorts and flip-flop weather, but you can get by. Drop it to 10*, however, and its a whole other ballgame. Same here - 100* I can handle. But kick it up even 10 degrees and all bets are off, and you will find me in a dark room with just enough clothes to not get arrested and the AC cranked.

I hate the heat. I just have to get to a place in my own head where I can enjoy TODAY when it is not ghastly hot rather than dread with ever fiber of my soul the oncoming, inescapable fire-pit that is Scottsdale in July...

No comments: