Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Taking time to smell the Chardonnay

I am, at this moment, sitting outside. This is noteworthy due to the pervasive, oppressive heat that IS Arizona during nearly 6 months of the year. Common lore would have it that we are not yet to the 'nice' part, so the fact that all of us can be out of our climate-controlled dwelling and into the more or less fresh air is quite something.

The days are, thankfully, getting shorter. I realize that I live in one of the sunniest places on earth, but that is not necessarily a good thing, and we welcome with delighted abandon the end of long, unrelentingly sunny days.

So I sit out here, sun setting behind me, boys playing catch or floaty-tube wars, with a nice glass of Chardonnay that I got from Sprouts the other day. And, forgive me all you wine-connoisseurs out there, it is from a BOX!! A box, with a resealable screw top! And it is yummy... yummy and cheap. Can't beat that! And something about it reminds me of basil. Is it possible for wine to taste like basil? I've had wine that tastes like fruit, or even wood, but never an Italian herb.

And the joyful sounds of playtime have morphed into wails of displeasure. Oh well; I suppose my time enjoying the subtleties of my wine are over. Best chug the rest of it and ensure there is no bodily harm, or spillage of blood.

It was nice while it lasted!

No comments: