Friday, September 11, 2009

Irreverence

I was reading a story with one of my classes today, and we came across the word REVERED. None of the kids knew what it meant, so I pulled out Webster and we researched the exact description. I'd already told them that it is sort of "to look up to" but more so. The official definition is "To regard with awe, deference, and devotion."

This got me thinking, which, as you know, usually leads me straight to the top of my soap box. Certain things in life should be revered. Elders, for one. This particular story talks about the revered elders in the family. I agree... we should respect and even revere our elders.

But what else do we, as a country, revere? Other than money? It used to be that we revered the Office of the President. It used to be that we revered religion, or at least the institution in which one practiced religion. But we've lost all of that somehow. Over and over again, we are witness to just how debased we've become as a society.

I did not see the outburst during the Presidential address on Wednesday as I was driving the boys back from a lovely trip to the dentist (4 cavities, 1 crown, 4 sealants and a visit to the Ortho is in our future!) but I HEARD the scene when the Senator from South Carolina heckled the President. HECKLED THE PRESIDENT??? Pardon my language, but WTF?

Since when has a Presidential Address to Congress turned into an NFL game? Or worse? If we, and our Elected Political Heroes no longer have, or at least SHOW, respect for the Office of the President, what does that mean for us as a society? I know this may seem like a stretch, but can anarchy be far behind?

And when did this happen? When did it become not only OK, but expected for us to question the private lives of our leaders, or their financial history, or their choices from 30 years before? We didn't do it to Eisenhower. I doubt we did it to Kennedy while he was living... I bet even good ole Calvin Coolidge didn't have to live through a heckler within his own CONGRESS.

We wear our bra straps showing in church, or jeans with holes in them, and sneakers. We talk back to our leaders, screaming and name calling rather than engaging in honest debate and dialogue. We no longer hold doors open for those older, or heck, even the same age as us... we let it close in their faces...

Will we ever again be a society of individuals with both reverence and civility?

No comments: