Thursday, May 08, 2008

Its F-R-I-D-A-Y!!!

Ok, so it's not really Friday yet, but its Friday to me because I am off work tomorrow!! Yeah, ME! The gal who usually watches Christopher is going to her oldest daughter's graduation from ASU, so child care is closed, meaning, gosh, darn the luck, I have to stay home!!

I need a weekend... truly, I do! I also need to get errands done, laundry done, vacuuming done, banking done, grocery shopping done, and a gazillion other things done, so while I am not going to work, I will be undoubtedly busy!

12 days left. 12 - nearly 2 hands worth of days left.... I have a slew of meetings and testing and writing to do next week, so really, I just need to make it through the next 5 days and if I can do that, it will be smooth sailing until the last day. I think at 'press time' I have 4 IEP meetings scheduled for next week and need to test 3 kids. Guess I won't be able to be available as much for one of my inclusion classes, and we all know that just breaks my heart...

I think we have come up with a solution for next year. Part of the problem at my school is that we are a small school. Normally, small schools are a good thing. We love small schools, we need small schools, and we love the individual attention they afford their students. However, when you are a special ed teacher, small schools are bad. Small schools mean scrimping and scraping and giving up prep times and having emotionally messed up kids in with learning disabled kids and it can just get ugly. Plus, the number of teachers we get for special ed is derived by some archane formula and what the folks at the District seem to forget is that it is not possible for a human to spit up into replicas of him/her self and be in more than one place at one particular time. For example, it is against all laws of physics for a teacher to cover an 8th grade language arts class at the same time she is supposed to cover a 6th grade math class. Trust me, if I could figure out how to do it, I'd retire to Bora Bora on my winnings!

So with the help of our super-hero school psych, we have come up with a solution that solves 2 of our problems. (Ok, admittedly one of the problems is just mine alone). We will offer a 6/7 self-contained language arts class and a 7/8 self-contained math class. Everyone (except GW and his GD NCLB) will be happy, we can eliminate the need to be several places at once and solve my 'issues' with our current situation.

Again, yeah me!!

No comments: