Sunday, October 05, 2008

Happy October!

The air is beginning to cool and remind us of why nearly 6million people choose to live in Arizona! We woke this morning to 66* and have been able to turn OFF the air conditioning, at least down stairs! On bended knee I thank the good Lord above for the strength to make it through another summer in Arizona. Of course, it is not totally over yet - we are supposed to be back up into the 90s again this week, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

We have had quite the interesting week around here. Weeks before vacation always seem to have more in store for you than your average week, at least when you are a teacher or a parent. Last week's entertainment began when I received a phone call, somewhat distressed, from the boys while I was on my way home from work. There was a "black worm" in the bathroom. Sorry guys - don't touch it - I will be home soon. Not much I can do from the comfort of the car! Long story short, it was not so much a worm, as a baby snake. Those of you who know me well can imagine how calm and rational I was at the thought of a snake in my bathroom. For those of you who may not be so intimately cognizant of my behavior around things without visible means of transport (read = legs) let's just say that this snake was in fact about 2 or 3" long, noodle thin and clearly in distress. And let's say that most normal mortal souls would be able to rid their house of such vermin with ease - NOT ME... No, I had to call the 17yr old neighbor boy to come get it out of the house, promising him that he was allowed to laugh at me for the remainder of time!

I've been spending altogether way too much time on Facebook again. It is really my new addiction. That, and the banana chocolate Vivanos at Starbucks!! One of the things I love about it (besides the cyber-horse-racing) is finding old friends. That's really the purpose of these social networking sites, in my opinion... and it has been really wonderful to find old friends from high school and college. I remember having conversations with my friends at SC; we'd look around and wonder - which of us will "make it big". One of my friends won an Emmy for directing (Shout out to Greg Yaitanes for directing the winning HOUSE episode)and another one received the Canadian equivalent for musical score (shout out to BRANDON WALKER!) Another group of talented Trojans!!!

We are on break for the next week. October break is a really wonderful psychological marker - it means we have made it through the first quarter of school. The first and the last quarters are the hardest. All things being equal, the next two quarters should be pretty smooth. It is only after our high-stakes testing is done that we have a hard time reigning the kids in.

Oh- and one more thought before I leave you all for the week... Some behaviors we think are learned. Mooning, for example. Someone must have to teach you to stick your tush in someone else's face, right? There is just no way that could come 'naturally' is there??

Well, ladies and gents - I give you CHRIS..... Yes, some things DO in fact come naturally!


No comments: