Monday, October 20, 2008

Just call me Macguiver...

When I decided to start running oh-so-many years ago *(like, what?? 2.5??) I thought that it would be simple. Me, a good pair of shoes, maybe some good tunes... I swear it takes me longer to get ready to go out for what passes for a run NOW than it would for me to actually get in my car and drive to the gym!!

There's the shoes, which is the easy part, except it is getting close to needing a new pair, and I hate shopping for shoes about as much as I hate shopping for bathing suits.

Then come all the THINGS I feel the need to take with me. Music is a necessity. I tried running once without it and the sound of my own heavy breathing convinced me it was time to turn around and go home. I think I had covered about 1/2 a mile...

I also have to take something to drink. My body is extremely finicky and if I manage to get too dehydrated (which is easy to do in the desert!) I get a migraine and we all know how much I love that!

Lately, since I lost my little iPod with the Nike+ thingy, I have been woefully unaware of the little things like exactly how far and how slow, um, I mean, fast I have been going.

Then, because the sun is getting lazy around here, I have to make sure I have something reflective on, so I rummage through my closet for my light weight reflective shirt and my hat with the reflective thingys in the back.

So picture is - I have the big ole' iPod strapped to one arm, my GPS thingy on my other arm, and a water bottle in my hand, OH - and we cannot forget GUM!! I cannot run without gum in my mouth for some reason I have yet to discover.... I can't chew gum at other times for more than about 2 minutes, but can't run without it....


So much for it being just me and the road.....

No comments: