Monday, July 21, 2008

21 days till school starts (repeat mantra as necessary)

Its not that it has been a bad summer - not at all. It is just that there is a bit too much of it, if you ask me. We've done the relaxing, we've done the swimming, we are about to do a bit of vacationing, and we are all ready to go back to school. I keep seeing the Staples ad in my head, where the dad is flying down the aisles on his shopping cart, his face full of glee, with the song "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" blasting in the background.

I think everyone can agree - too much of a good thing can quickly become a bad thing. (unless its chocolate). We have hit that place - crossed the line between good and not-so-good-and-please-dear-lord-does-it-end-soon. The bickering, the messes, the same handfull of sentences coming from my mouth only to fall on the same deaf ears. Yes, my friends, it is time to put a fork in her and call Summer DONE.

Of course, getting out of town will help - a change of scenery and routine to toss things around a bit. I am somewhat terrified of the car ride, but then families have been shoving themselves in the family trucksters for generations now and I feel somewhat confident that we will survive. Being away from the heat, even if only for a short while, will do me a tremendous amount of good. Seeing the beach, feeling the sand under my feet and hearing the waves of the ocean will, no doubt, do what hours upon hours of therapy would never be able to: Renew me.

And then we come home, and I will, no doubt, experience that adrenaline rush of "holy crap, we go back in 2 weeks and I have SO MUCH STUFF STILL TO DO!". Never fails...

No comments: