Saturday, January 05, 2008

Happy Belated Birthday, my dear Matthew!


7 years have gone by since I first became Matthew's mommy. My mom and I were taking about this fact, with emphasis on SEVENYEARS!! We both agreed, 4 felt about right, maybe 5, but no way could it be 7!!

I would hate to classify Matthew as "typical" in any fashion, for any reason, but I do believe there are some traits we see than can be classified as "typical" middle child. He is certainly the peace-keeper in the family. He seems to delight in making other people happy, or at least in making them laugh. And, he is want for nothing. I don't mean that he is spoiled, although one could argue that we do occasionally overindulge him, but rather that he literally wants for nothing. We had one heck of a time trying to get a letter to Santa out of him. In fact, we failed miserably, and Santa had to guess. I think Santa guessed rather well, but still - the fact that a child of Matthew's age was unable to give Santa any guidance was rather remarkable. Let's just say we are having the same problems with birthday gifts and even the idea of having a party. He just seems to not want to put anyone out. God love him!!

Where Matthew veers from the beaten path of middle-children, at least in my opinion, is in every other aspect of his personality. He is very curious about some pretty mind-bending things, such as how or why the universe is constantly expanding, and what would happen if you were in the path of a gamma-ray burst, and he not only wants to see a quasar, but can actually explain to you what one is. (I know - I don't understand most of it either. It is a bit unsettling to know that your child, at 7, is likely smarter by far than you are!) In my experience, kids who love space love pictures of rockets and planets and are content to remain within our known solar system, but Matthew has other plans. Namely to become an astronomer and discover earth-like planets like the scientists from UC Berkeley and Univ of Arizona do on the Discovery Channel.

I think there is some comment about aiming for the stars and hitting the moon if you fail, buried here somewhere, but knowing my Matthew, he will make it all the way to the stars, and back!

Happy Birthday, my dear, amazing, darling Matthew. I love you more than words can say and am awed by you in more ways than I can count!

No comments: