Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Birthday Woe

Its getting to be that time again -

Birthday Party Planning for Parker.

How did birthday parties become Birthday Parties??

I had parties every year, but small ones, just a few friends (like, oh, 3 or 4) and it was at home. I think we have a unique (at least I hope its unique and not ubiquitous across the nation) "one-upping the Jones's" thing here in Scottsdale where the bigger and more extravagant the party, the better. I feel like a heel having a swim party with a barbeque in the back yard because the bar has been set to rent out this space or that space and invite 100 kids.

I refuse to participate. Parker does want his party at a place called "Line Drives" which has indoor batting cages. We will think about it, but he will be limited to 5 or 6 friends.

And while I am on the topic of things gone crazy, what's up with the favors?? Those are way out of control as well. I think its enough to invite a kid to a venue and feed them and babysit them for 2.5 hours. I know we apprecite the fact that our kid's friends actually come to the party, but must we GIVE them something as well?? Really??

I think this year our invitations will read "in lieu of gifts for the birthday boy, please bring unwrapped gifts for the children's wing of Scottsdale North Hospital" or something like that.

Perhaps I will get laughed out of town by all the ne'er-do-well moms. But then, perhaps I might just make them think.

No comments: