Saturday, February 20, 2010

So much for trying...

Those students I mentioned in my last post?  The one where we got buy-in from the parents to seek alternative placement?  The ones who are so unbelievably below grade level that it is painful to watch them try to maneuver their regular education environment without hitting landmines?  The district denied our request to seek alternative placement.  "Just service them in the classes they already have". 

Insert something profane, and a good eye-roll here.

I've said it more than once, that if I actually enjoyed arguing and fighting, I would quit teaching and go become an advocate.  It is situations just like this, where, in order to save money, someone asks a square peg to fit into a round hole.  Rather than having the program meet the needs of the child, we ask the child to meet the limitations of the program.  It's not fair, it is not right, and yet, unless someone is willing to stand up and bring a pack of lawyers with them, it happens.  So much for INDIVIDUAL education.  Even in Special Ed, its a packaged deal a lot of the time.

Of course, I, as a district employee, am not allowed to tell the parent what I really think, which is that they are getting the run-around, and that things might change to the benefit of their children if they were to hire an advocate.  I'm not allowed to say that I disagree vehemently with those in decision-making power that these students can be successful where they are.  I'm not allowed to say anything other than the party line.

So,  I come here to vent - and hopefully bring just a little bit of justice into the world for kids who cannot advocate for themselves.   And, if nothing else, help those who can't speak up because either they don't have the lingo down or whatever, find a voice amid the red tape.

No comments: