Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A not-so-good day

Yin and Yang, right?

It was not horrible or terrible, or even very bad... just not so good. I've been fighting what is either exhaustion or a mild stomach bug that has bogged me down for the last few days. Running was icky, painful and as if through mud. My overall outlook and likely my demeanor needed a bit of tweaking... and it was topped off by a not-clean-bill-of-health from the dr (tho, again, nothing terrible or horrible) and NOT getting the Language Arts job I not only wanted, but am also quite qualified for.

To assuage fears, the doc found a heart murmur that was not there before and I have some skin things that need to be looked at.. Guess after 40 it really IS patch, patch, patch!!

So now I need to decide what it is I want to do with myself next year. I've made the promise that I would NOT return to my current school year after year, and year after year, I show back up in August to the same frustrating situation I'd left the previous May. I do think it is time for a change. The change I wanted was to leave Special Education (Been here 5 years and am burned out) and move to the 'civilian sector' of education. Alas, that does not seem to be in the cards for me next year. (I'm starting to get good a living with disappointment) Now my question that requires an answer is.. WHERE TO GO. I know I cannot teach, do not want to teach, and would be horrible at teaching elementary school. I really enjoy middle school. I wonder if I would be any good at high school.

There are two openings at the high school that is practically in my back yard. I am going to leave my options open at this point and see what turns up.. plant a few seeds here, a few there.. see if anything grows. It's not like I am OUT of a job for next year, and for that I am grateful, but for my professional growth and my own personal sanity, I need to find something new... What lies beyond the bend in the road could be very interesting...

No comments: