Sunday, March 14, 2010

Gettin' my groove back...

Last year, I  considered myself a Runner.  I was out nearly every morning, running.  Not fast, not terribly far, but consistently and aggressively (for me) running.  I saw my average speed go from a 13 minute mile down to about 11:13.  I said I'd be happy to reach a pace of 11 min/mile. 

I never got there. 

Sometime in April, I pulled something deep in my right hip.  Nothing seemed to help make it feel better, not stretching or massage.  In June, I ran my last 3 miles, with a pace slower than my 11:13, but faster than 12:00.  I have not run since.

Until this week. 

I wanted to get back out there... I'm about 24 pounds lighter now than I was then, so in theory it should be easier on my body to run.  I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, and I know running is part of the answer.  I don't need to break any speed records, just need to get back to my consistent and aggressive (for me) running routine.

I know I have to go slow.  I know I have to listen to my head, not my ego, or I will get injured again.  I know I can't go out every day or I will burn out.  So, here's what I've got so far...

1st day out - 2.75 miles at 16:21 (*walked the whole thing)
2nd day out - 14:13
3rd day out - 13:37 (3 miles)
4th day out (today) 12:53 (3 miles)

I'm not back to where I want to be - but I'm clearly seeing an improvement in my stamina already.  An additional benefit to working back into this slowly - I am taking Cyrus with me.  He makes a wonderful running partner.. and it makes for a very happy and mellow Cyrus for the rest of the day. 

Sort of what it does to me, too.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good for you! It's so difficult to get back into an exercise groove. I keep thinking about digging out my swimsuit and hitting the pool again at lunchtime. So hard to begin; but so wonderful once I brace myself and hit the cool water.