Thursday, March 12, 2009

What is this world coming to?

And, for once, I mean that in a good way!

Last night I had dinner with my friend Jill. We arranged it on Facebook. We enjoyed a fun night at Pei Wei for yummy Chinese food, a cold beer and tons of catching up chatter.

What made this night unusual and noteworthy is that Jill and I have not seen each other in 26 years. Without question, that is a lifetime!!! She and I were great friends in grade school; I have pictures of her at birthday parties and fond memories of antics from those tween years!

But, like many friendships from your 'formative youth', Jill and I drifted apart when we attended different high schools and more or less, no - completely - lost touch.

Until Facebook. A few clicks, and VOILA! All those people you shared your life with and promised to be Best Friends Forever are still there! As close as your keyboard with technology and social networking!

Yet another reason to, if you have not already, go sign up right away!! I have heard many folks say "well, we lost touch for a reason; perhaps I don't want to get back in touch with soandso...". Fair argument, but how do you know until it happens?

Last night, I think both Jill and I discovered, or realized, were friends back then for a reason! We laughed and giggled just like when we were kids. We spent an equal amount of time playing "do you remember...." as well as getting to know each other again, this time as adults.

Hopefully her job will bring her back to Arizona again soon. It was a delightful evening, and I look forward to having more time to visit the next time she comes out.

We both wondered, out loud last night, if our next reunions.. another mile stone one - 25 (Eeegads!!) will be different than the 20th because most of us have now joined some sort of networking site such as LinkedIn or MySpace or, my personal favorite, Facebook. Will attendance be better? Will there be less of the "tell me what you have been up to for the last howevermany years.."? I suppose so.. I think it will make it a lot more fun!

Remember the saying from when you were a kid?? Make new friends, but keep the old.. one is silver and the other is gold?

No comments: