Saturday, April 07, 2007

A Date!!!

Steve and I went out, by ourselves, to dinner on Thursday. In most parts of the world, I think they call that a date. Its been so long since the last time we were out together, sans enfants, that I could be rusty on my terminology.

I feel compelled to confess my food-choice sins, as Nancy is being so open and honest about her poor choices, and confession is good for the soul, and misery loves company, so I hope that, at least, Nancy feels better after reading this...

Now, before I go into full-blown confession mode, let me please, for the record, state that: I have been running regularly of late, except for the last 4 days while I am waiting for my shin to stop hurting. Additionally, with Steve's parents here and my going back to work, I have been leaving all meal preperation to my mother in law, who, God bless her, has been making sure the family gets fed at night. Beggars cannot be choosers - all thought about "light and fit" meals have been tossed out the window lately and I am revelling in "midwestern fare". This negates all good things I have done while running. Or, not running...

Back to my date. We went to The Keg, and had a most delightful time. I threw caution and calorie counting to the wind. My meal consisted of: 2 large shrimp with cocktail sauce, Ahi-tuna appetizer, 5oz of my 9oz filet that was smoothered with scallops, more shrimp, asparagus spears and the most amazing Bernaise sauce, a twice-baked potato and topped off with something lucious and smothered in chocolate.

The waitress was delightful, and even asked if we were "finished", rather than the all-too-often used "DONE", which just chaps my Grammar Girl hide to no end.. and the ambiance was lovely.

I'm sure I will need to run a marathon to undo all the damage from that one meal, but every now and then its SO worth it to live large and enjoy. Life is short. It flies by in an instant... to quote Steve's hero "If you don't stop to look around every now and then, you might miss it."

1 comment:

Nancy said...

You DID make me feel a whole lot better! Thanks, friend.